Adjustment of Status

Adjustment of Status

If you or a loved one entered the United States with a non-immigrant visa, you may be able to obtain lawful permanent residency status through an Adjustment of Status process.

At Legalize Me, our immigration lawyers are dedicated to helping our clients who are seeking permanent residency status. We will thoroughly review your case to determine whether you qualify for adjustment of status to that of a permanent resident. If we determine that you do not qualify for adjustment of status, we will actively search other options for permanent residency.

Categories of Adjustment of Status

  • If your spouse is a U.S. citizen
  • If you are a relative of a U.S. citizen or permanent resident who has a priority date that is current
  • If you are a fiancé who entered the country with a K-1 visa
  • If you are a beneficiary of an approved asylum petition
  • If you are an individual who plans on filing for an employment based petition or are the beneficiary of an individual who has already been approved for such petition
  • If you are an individual with a green card or are a lottery winner currently residing in the U.S.

Determining whether you fall into one of these categories for an adjustment of status is not an easy task. In order to ensure successful adjustment of status processing, our experienced immigration lawyers will constantly monitor the frequent changes in immigration law and keep up with the necessary paperwork to get you the permanent residency status that you deserve.

How to File For Adjustment of Status

Although the steps in the adjustment of status process are fairly straightforward, it is still in your best interest to seek the assistance of an immigration lawyer to ensure you get your permanent residency status as quickly as possible without any problems.

Below is an overview of the steps in obtaining your status adjustment:

1. Determine whether you fall into one of the specific immigrant categories, discussed above.

2. File an immigrant petition based on the specific category that you qualify under.

3. Check your visa availability, as you will not be able to file your Form I-485 until a visa is available in your category.

4. File for permanent resident using Form I-485 at the appropriate time.

5. Attend your Application Support Center appointment for fingerprinting and other biometrics collection.

6. Attend your interview at a USCIS office to answer questions under oath.

7. Wait for a final decision via mail.

Appealing a Denial

If you get an unfavorable decision denying your application for adjustment of status, you may have a right to appeal. Not all decisions can be appealed. However, if you are able to appeal, you must do so within 30 days of the service of the decision by filing a Motion to Reopen or Reconsider.

Contact Us Today!

At Legalize Me, our knowledgeable immigration lawyers can answer any questions and/or comments you may have regarding your eligibility for an adjustment of status. If we determine that you qualify for such adjustment, we will do everything we can to help you obtain permanent residency status.

Legalize Me is dedicated to offering the most experienced immigration support for all of our clients. Like any other legal process, applying for an adjustment of status is a complicated and a delicate process. We will do everything we can to get you the status change you seek.

For more information or to schedule a free consultation with compassionate and experienced immigration attorney Michael S. Carrillo, call Legalize Me toll free at 800-554-8778.

If you found this helpful, please share it

Do You Still Have Question? Contact Us for A Free Consultation Now: