Citizenship through Parents

Obtaining U.S. Citizenship Through Parents

One of simplest, yet often trickiest, ways to obtain citizenship in the United States is through your parents. In fact, this area of the law is one of the most complex areas of immigration because Congress has amended the law multiple times. In order to determine whether you “acquired” citizenship at birth through a parent or if you “derived” citizenship as a minor through your parents, you need to consult with an immigration lawyer who is well experienced and knowledgeable in this area of the law.

At Legalize Me, our attorneys have the necessary skills and successful track record to help you obtain U.S. citizenship through your parents. There are various strategies for proving that you are a U.S. citizen even though you were born outside of the U.S. We will help explore each of these options to determine which is the most viable in helping you become a citizen.

Acquisition of U.S. Citizenship

If you were born outside of the U.S. to parents, either of whom are U.S. citizens, you acquired U.S. citizenship at birth. If you acquired U.S. citizenship at birth, you will not need a certificate to prove your citizenship. In order to qualify for acquired citizenship, your parent(s) must be able to establish that they resided or were physically present in the U.S. for certain time periods prior to your seeking citizenship.

Although this automatic acquisition of citizenship is an integral part of the U.S. immigrant law, the exact eligibility requirements have changed over time due to the various amendments passed by Congress. As such, it is important to consult with a knowledgeable immigration lawyer if you are seeking citizenship this way.

Requirements for Derivative Citizenship Through Parents

At the turn of the century, Congress passed the Child Citizenship Act of 2001, which qualifies children of U.S. citizen parents to derive citizenship through their parents.

In order to obtain citizenship through this avenue, you must meet the following requirements:

1. One parent must be a U.S. citizen by either birth or naturalization;

2. You must be under 18 years of age;

3. You must be currently residing in the U.S. as a permanent resident with a valid green card; AND

4. You must be currently residing in legal custody of your citizen parent.

Similar to acquisition of citizenship, automatic derivation of citizenship is also a part of the U.S. immigration law. Along the same lines, this area of immigration law is also very challenging because the law has changed frequently and the restrictions may differ for each particular situation.

At Legalize Me, our experienced immigration attorneys are knowledgeable in this area of law and can assist you in obtaining citizenship status.

Contact an Experienced Immigration Attorney Today!

For more information about how to obtain U.S. citizenship through your parents (either through acquired citizenship or derivative citizenship) or to schedule a free consultation with our immigration attorney Michael S. Carrillo to discuss your immigration needs, please call Legalize Me toll free at 800-554-8778.

If you found this helpful, please share it

Do You Still Have Question? Contact Us for A Free Consultation Now: