Consular Processing Attorney

Local Help for International Immigration Issues

If you or a loved one is in a foreign country and would like to obtain legal entry into the United States, you may qualify for an immigrant visa. This procedure, which is conducted in foreign countries at U.S. consulates operating under State Department authority, is known as consular processing.

For more information about how consular processing can meet your immigration needs or the needs of a loved one in obtaining permanent residency in the U.S., contact Legalize Me to consult with one of our experienced consular processing attorney.

Eligibility for Obtaining an Immigrant Visa Through Consular Processing

In order to be eligible for an immigrant visa through consular processing, you must satisfy the following criteria:

  • You must be the beneficiary of an approved visa petition that grants family-based immediate relative or preference classification, or you must have an employment-based preference classification; OR
  • You must be a spouse or an unmarried child under the age of 18 of a preference alien, also referred to as a derivative family member.

The Application Process

Upon approval of your visa petition by the United States Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS) to apply for an immigrant visa abroad, the USCIS will forward your approved petition or labor certification to the National Visa Center (NVC).

The NVC will then need to assign a case number in order for your case to be processed for a particular consular post. It should be noted that you must file your application at the consular office that has jurisdiction over your place of residence in the foreign country. If there is no U.S. consular post where you are, for example in Iran, Libya and Somalia, you may apply at a consular post designated by the U.S. Department of State.

Form Requirements

Once your petition has been approved, you will receive Form DS-230 from the NVC, which you must properly complete and file with the applicable immigrant visa fees. If you are being sponsored by a family member, they will need to completed Form I-864, known as the Affidavit of Support. If you are represented by an attorney, your attorney must additionally complete and submit Form G-28, Notice of Appearance.

The Forms You Will Need at Your Consular Interview

Upon the successful filing of all of the necessary forms, you will be provided a consular interview date. In order to avoid any further delays, you must take the following forms with you to this important interview:

  • Your birth certificate or Certificate of Citizenship, or a translation in English if necessary.
  • Your marriage certificate or divorce judgments from both you and your previous spouse.
  • If a sibling is petitioning for a visa on your behalf, the marriage certificate of your parents.
  • A passport picture.
  • Your passport from your current resident country.
  • Your I-94 arrival/departure card.
  • Medical examination reports, which must be performed by a qualified clinic or doctor.
  • Police clearance letter.

Contact Legalize Me

For more information about obtaining an immigrant visa through consular processing or to schedule a free consultation with our immigration attorney Michael S. Carrillo to discuss your immigration needs, please call Legalize Me toll free at 800-554-8778.

If you found this helpful, please share it

Do You Still Have Question? Contact Us for A Free Consultation Now: