Green Cards Through Employment

Obtaining a Green Card Through Employment

One popular method for legally entering the United States is to apply for a green card through employment. However, even if you meet the requirements of having the qualifying level of education, having a demanded skill or a job lined up, obtaining permanent residency through this route is a complicated process.

At Legalize Me, our green card attorneys have the experience and knowledge to help you obtain a green card through one of the five different preference categories. We are dedicated to helping our clients get the permanent residency status they seek.

Categories of Employment-Based Green Cards

There are five categories of employment-based (EB) green cards. Each year, 140,000 individuals are permitted to obtain green cards through any of these five preference categories:

  • EB-1 category: This category consists of individuals with extraordinary abilities, outstanding professors and researchers, and executives and managers of multinational employers.
  • EB-2 category: This category consists of individuals who possess extraordinary abilities and individuals whose line of employment involves an advanced undergraduate or higher level of education. For the majority of EB-2 applicants, it may be necessary for the employer to obtain the approval of a PERM application from the U.S. Department of Labor prior to sponsoring for a green card.
  • EB-3 category: This category consists of unskilled and skilled workers and professionals. Employers of petitioners in the EB-3 category are required to obtain the approval of a PERM application prior to sponsorship.
  • EB-4 category: This category consists of religious workers and other “special immigrants.”
  • EB-5 category: This category consists of individuals who plan to invest in a U.S.-based business and hire at least ten employees.

The Process

Obtaining an employment-based green card is a complicated process and may take several years. It can be frustrating to wait so long to get a green card. Our green card attorneys can help you avoid any further delays and expertly navigate you through the process. Below is a summary of the steps you need to take to obtain an employment-based green card:

  • You must first determine whether you are eligible for legal permanent residency under one of USCIS’s categories.
  • Check to see if you need to request your employer to file a labor certification with the U.S. Department of Labor. If so, your employer must prove that there are no other workers who are readily available or willing to perform the job tasks that you are capable of performing.
  • If a labor certification is required, after its approval your employer must file an Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker form (Form I-140).
  • You will then need to wait for the Department of State to issue you an immigrant visa number. This is only given to applicants whose priority date is current.

Need Help Obtaining a Green Card Through Employment? Call Us Today!

At Legalize Me, our knowledgeable immigration lawyers can answer any questions and/or comments you may have regarding obtaining an employment-based green card to lawfully enter the United States. We are dedicated to offering the most experienced immigration support for all of our clients seeking permanent residency in the United States.

For more information or to schedule a free consultation with compassionate and experienced immigration attorney Michael S. Carrillo, call Legalize Me toll free at 626.799.9379.

Do You Still Have Question? Contact Us for A Free Consultation Now: