Legal Permanent Resident

Legal Permanent Resident


Legal permanent resident, also known as a “green card” holder, is the status given to someone who meets the various requirements in their quest to making the United States their permanent home. This is a preliminary step that is necessary in becoming a U.S. citizen. At Legalize Me, our immigration lawyers have successfully processed numerous such applications for our clients. We are dedicated to helping our clients get the permanent residency status they seek.


How to Obtain Legal Permanent Resident Status


You can obtain legal permanent resident status in only one of four ways. You may obtain such status by:


1. Requesting a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident to sponsor you under the Family and Fiancé Visas.
2. Obtaining a Labor Certification.
3. Winning the diversity lottery or having a legal substantial business investment in the United States generally exceeding $1 million.
4. Obtaining asylum. Once you obtain legal permanent resident status, you will be permitted to reside and work in the U.S. Although this status is indefinite, it is in your best interest to seek citizenship status in order to avoid any future problems. For example, as a legal permanent resident status holder, you may be deemed to have “abandoned” your permanent residency if you leave the country for more than six consecutive months. You may also lose your permanent residency status (be deported to your home country) if you commit any type of crime.


Different Types of Permanent Residence (Green Card)


There are various types of ways you may be able to get a green card or authorization for legal permanent residency. Our experienced immigration lawyers will look at the specific facts of your case to determine what is the best option for you.


Family-Based Permanent Residence


One way in obtaining a green card is to have a family member who is a U.S. citizen or green holder to sponsor you for permanent residency status. Since the family-based immigration system is sorted into different categories based upon your relation to your family member, obtaining a green card using this method may vary depending on which category you fall into.


Employment-Based Permanent Residence


In order to obtain permanent resident status based on employment, you must have obtained a bona-fide job offer from a U.S. employer that is willing to sponsor you. Additionally, most of these visas require a certification from the U.S. Department of Labor, showing that there are insufficient U.S. workers who are able, willing, qualified and available to fill this position and that no American workers are being displaced by your filling the desired position.


Violence Against Women Act (VAWA)


Under VAWA, battered spouses, children and parents of U.S. citizens and permanent residents are able to file a petition for legal permanent residency status for themselves without the abuser’s knowledge provided that they meet certain requirements.


Contact Us Today!


At Legalize Me, our knowledgeable immigration lawyers can answer any questions and/or comments you may have regarding your eligibility for legal permanent residency status. We are dedicated to offering the most experienced immigration support for all of our clients seeking permanent residency in the United States. For more information or to schedule a free consultation with compassionate and experienced immigration attorney Michael S. Carrillo, call Legalize Me toll free at 800-554-8778.


If you found this helpful, please share it
Do You Still Have Question? Contact Us for A Free Consultation Now: