T Visa

T Visas for Victims of Human Trafficking

Although the majority of visas are issued for voluntary immigration, there are two specific visas, U and T visas, granted to victims of human trafficking and other serious crimes. In 2002, the U.S. government established the Victims of Trafficking and Violence Protection Act, under which victims may obtain temporary status and protection in the U.S. with a pathway to becoming a permanent resident.

More specifically, a T visa allows an individual who has been a victim of severe trafficking to remain in the U.S. for up to four years if a return to their home country would subject them to severe hardship.

If you or a loved one was a victim of human trafficking or submitted to any other criminal abuse in a foreign country, you should call Legalize Me to consult with an experienced and compassionate lawyer to see if you qualify for a T visa.

Eligibility Requirements For a T Visa

In order to qualify for a T visa, you must satisfy the following requirements:

  • You must be the victim of a serious form of human trafficking, such as use of force, fraud, coercion for sex trafficking and/or sex slavery.
  • You must have entered the U.S. as a result of such trafficking.
  • Getting deported from the U.S. will cause you extreme hardship.
  • If you are older than 18, you must assist law enforcement with reasonable requests in their criminal investigation or the prosecution of the subject trafficking.

If you meet these requirements, our immigration lawyers will assist you to start visa process by filing Form I-914. In order to get approval for a T visa, the U.S. Attorney General and the Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security will also need to confirm that you have complied with a request by federal, state or local law enforcement agencies to assist in investigating or prosecuting your case.

Once You Get Your T Visa…

Upon approval of a T visa, you and your authorized immediate family members will be granted work authorization and residency in the United States for up to four years, regardless of your current legal status. Meanwhile, during these four years, our immigration lawyers will help you apply for permanent residency status.

Contact Legalize Me For Getting a T or U Visa

At Legalize Me, our knowledgeable immigration attorney can answer any questions and/or comments you may have regarding your eligibility for a T visa. If we determine that you qualify for either one of these visas, we will do everything we can to help you obtain a visa so that you may legally enter the U.S. and seek the pathway to permanent residency.

Legalize Me is dedicated to offering the most experienced immigration support for all of our clients, especially those who are victims of human trafficking and other serious crimes. Like any other legal process, applying for a T or U visa for victims of human trafficking is complicated.

For more information or to schedule a free consultation with compassionate and experienced immigration attorney Michael S. Carrillo, call Legalize Me toll free at 800-554-8778.

If you found this helpful, please share it

Do You Still Have Question? Contact Us for A Free Consultation Now: